Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Casually Hardcore with PopCap: An Insaniquarium Spotlight

Casual games are on fire these days. Almost everyone has a phone or tablet capable of playing them and they’re priced to sell. I had been picking away at Plants vs Zombies on and off for a while now. I would usually play it on my breaks at work. Yesterday I finally finished the adventure mode. The game has clearly earned the hype surrounding it. I’ve found myself being more interested in the game now that adventure mode was over, as there is so much more to be done.

When I got home from work yesterday, I checked out PopCap’s website to see if there were any other games I should try. I already had Zuma’s Revenge on my phone, and knew all about Bejewled. One I had forgot, however, was Insaniquarium. When it first came out, I remember “casually” playing for hours at a time. I downloaded the trial and gave it another shot. It was still pretty fun, but what I was more interested in was its similarities with Plants vs Zombies. It would be a lie to say they were identical, or even close, but there was enough shared “DNA” to wonder if Insaniquarium could be a hit again.

In Insaniquarium, your goal is to raise a variety of fish that will drop money so you can buy pieces of an egg. When you buy all the pieces of the egg the level ends and you are rewarded with a new helper fish. During the levels, on top of having to keep your fish fed, you also have to protect them from deadly aliens. Why are aliens invading your fish tank? Who the fuck knows? The only thing you do know is that they’re hungry, and your fish are looking tasty. Three additional modes including challange, time trial, and a virtual tank round out the experience.

Insaniquarium would make a great game for the mobile market. The controls for the original PC version consisted of pointing and clicking, perfect for the touch-screen interface. The graphics may need a small update, but the core artwork is consistent with PopCap’s signature style and charm. I would buy a mobile version in a heartbeat…

No comments:

Post a Comment